Friday, August 16, 2013

Home Depot #SummerDIYChallenge

I know. The summer feels like it is almost over (or did it never really start?) but that doesn't mean that we can't pretend!

I, along with 3 other super-awesome Canadian bloggers were invited to take part in a project sponsored by none other than the big Orange....




...or as I liked to call it....

"How I Learned to Use Power Tools"

That's right...other than using a drill once in a while, I had never really used a power tool. It's amazing I even called myself a DIY blogger! Shameful, I know.

So with that in mind, I decided that this project had to check a few boxes:

1. It had to be something we could use frequently. I didn't want to make something just for the sake of making something. I wanted this to be something useful.

2. It had to be a quick project - 2-3 days MAX. Unlike the rest of our projects, I wanted a realistic timeline that wouldn't take up a bunch of our summer weekends.

3. It had to be something that I could do myself. When it comes to projects that require power tools, I usually end up leaving those to my husband while I do the prep, clean up and painting type jobs. This time, I wanted to do (most of) it myself!

Now...usually this is the point where I'd go on and on about how the project progressed, what I learned, and what I messed up on, but since I finally have a totally complete project just burning a hole in my proverbial pocket (which never, ever seems to happen), I'm just going to give you what the cool kids call....

THE BIG REVEAL!

So here it is, kids. This is what a Home Depot gift card, some excellent in-store assistance, fantastic online plans, gorgeous fabric from Tonic Living and a long weekend of learning how to use power tools gets ya :-)

Outdoor Sectional - Adjusted

Outdoor Sectional - Adjusted

Outdoor Sectional - Adjusted

Outdoor Sectional - Adjusted
(I just want to curl up in all those pillows and sleep read a book) 

Outdoor Sectional - Adjusted
(I always wondered what I'd do with that JUMBO candle)

IMG_2672
(everyone fills mason jars with rice and salt, right?)

Sources:

Building materials (cedar, screws, finishing nails, glue) - The Home Depot
Fabric for cushions and pillows - provided by Tonic Living (pillows are Silsila in Poolside and Tilescene in Sky and the seat cushions are Sunnyside in Navy and White)
Coffee table - Pier 1 (already owned)
Stump - A tree the city cut down in Cabbagetown
Lantern - Home Sense (already owned)
Plans - www.Ana-White.com
Talent and Braun - Ahem. Me!

Now, I'll be back on Monday with all the gory details about how I built a couch for our backyard. A COUCH, people. With my own two hands. Crazy, right? Here is a bit of a teaser :-)

DSC02482
(okay, fine. I had a little help)

DSC02489
(Yes, that is Luca in the background playing with an empty beer can. Can you tell J was on baby duty while I got busy with the Kreg Jig??!)

Until then, why don't you head on over to Rambling Renovators, AKA Design and My Daily Randomness to check out what they built as part of the Home Depot Summer DIY Challenge!!

(Just in case it wasn't clear, The Home Depot sponsored this project by challenging us to create a summer DIY project. They didn't tell us what to make or what to buy.)

Photobucket

35 comments:

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

awesome!!! can't wait to see your gory details!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

amazing! I am so impressed!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

gorgeous :)

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Love it! I'm totally jealous - our outdoor space is gnarly (and not in the good way!)! Super impressed that you used the power tools too!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Ummm, seriously impressed!!!!! Way to go for tackling this project by yourself... I wimped out and asked "J" to help as soon as I attempted to make the first cut.
Now I think I need to find me a big lantern....

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

You go Janice! Look at you looking all natural with that jig. Seriously impressed. And I love the fabrics you chose. So fresh and inviting.

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

jaw dropping awesomeness! that was unreal! this is exactly what i'm looking to build for my deck. super well done and i love the accessories!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Stunning work...just love what you did for your challenge. Your choice for fabric was wonderful...Great job!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Ok, I am so seriously impressed!! I most definitely wouldn't have been able to pull that thing off by myself (that's what my husband is for, ha!). You did such an awesome job!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

You are my hero, girl! That looks AMAZING!!!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

OK, I'm blown away - that looks amazing and is definitely something to be proud of!! I can't wait to see how you did it!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

I'm totally giving you a high five though my commuter screen!! It looks freaking amazing like super amazing!! I love everything, the cushions & the fabrics everything! I'm so inspired :)

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

That looks so good!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

I can't believe you did this all on your own (I totally defer to my hubs on power tool type projects, haha) - this is awesome!!!!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Thanks!! I was actually pretty proud of myself, if I'm honest :-)

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Thanks Ashley!!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

I just gave you a high five back and knocked over my monitor. Doh. :-) Thanks so much, Katrina!! I'm super happy with it as well! And having something that is TOTALLY done? crazy great.

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Thanks Amelia!! Honestly - check out Ana-White.com's plans. That chick is the bomb. Do people still say that? Well, I did :-) Her plans make it quite easy!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Thanks Kristen!! It was actually pretty fun!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. If I could do it, you can do it!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Thanks Judy!! Oh yeah - don't cha love the fabric!? I am so happy with that! We even got some covers to make sure that they stay in great shape!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Thanks Jen! The Kreg Jig was amazing - I felt like a boss using it! haha


I'm glad you like the fabric! Me too! It is so cozy and colourful!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Thanks Britt! It was so fun! Home Sense still has a few floating around if you are looking for a big lantern!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Thanks!! Loved your table as well :-)

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Thanks N!!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Thanks Linds! It was really fun to make!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Oh and there are some gory details. Like how my husband and I almost broke up at the Home Depot trying to load the wood in the car. haha. GORY.

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

I really want to make a table and benches for our patio (next spring), so I'll check it out. I was thinking I needed to get my husband on board, but now you've inspired me to try it myself!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

You could for sure do it. Honestly - especially if you don't have angled cuts etc...it could be even easier!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Love this.... going to try to convince my hubby to let me use the power tools. 1 question that I didn't see information about. ? The tree trunk looks very smooth.... did you add a finish or do something special to perserve it?

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Looks great! Suits your backyard.

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Looks fantastic! Who did the sewing for the bench cushions? Was it Tonic Living as well?

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

THIS IS AMAZING!!!!!

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

What a great job! Love the colors.

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

Wow! I'm super impressed that you built that yourself. People would pay big bucks for this!