Friday, December 14, 2012

Luca's Birth Story - Pt. 2 (Man-Denial)

If you missed part I - click here.

So where were we?

Oh right...I was at a friend's baby shower and I was hiding in the powder room, gripping onto the sink, and breathing through a contraction. This, my friends, is probably what they call labour. 

Once the contraction subsided, I got myself together and waddled back outside to where my friends were sitting. I asked my ride if we could get a move on (she knew I was having contractions) and we hit the road. 

I'll admit it - I was a little nervous. I mean, I still didn't think this was IT, but the reality was sinking in that this baby was coming in the next few days.

Upon my arrival at home, I mentioned to J that I was having contractions and wasn't feeling great. We agreed that he would keep his cell phone on at the Radiohead concert and I made him promise that he would actually pay to park onsite so that if I made the call, he wouldn't have to walk for 20 minutes to get to the car (he likes hunting around for free parking and is willing to walk far distances to get it).

(if you are now sitting there with your mouth hanging open...thinking "he was going to go to a CONCERT and you were in labour?!!"...I wouldn't be shocked. Denial is a strange, powerful thing.)

Anyways, in a strange and sad turn of events, the stage at the Radiohead concert collapsed and the concert was cancelled. This was around 4:30 p.m. It was shortly around this time that I started timing my contractions using one of those fun iPhone apps:



Each contraction wasn't super long, but in my eyes they were coming pretty frequently! And they hurt. I realized quickly that I wasn't going to be one of those fabled women who don't even know they are in labour until the baby's head pops out! I remember looking at J and telling him something along the lines of "I'm pretty sure we are going to have this baby soon".

And what does a man in denial do when he finds out his wife is properly in labour and that the baby is coming?

Why, he goes to the grocery store, of course!

We had been told to bring snacks to the hospital and all of a sudden that became the most important thing to him. We needed SNACKS, dammit, and nothing was going to get in his way.

I had another bath while he was at the store, and after about 45 minutes, I phoned him to find out where he was because the contractions were getting much stronger and visions of a mean nurse telling me that I was "too late" for an epidural were dancing in my head.

Why was he gone for so long, you may ask?

He decided to do our regular weekly grocery shopping while he was there. Figured we wouldn't have time to do it after the baby arrived so he may as well get it done. Wife is in labour? Grab some broccoli. Contractions are 5 minutes apart? Where are the yellow bananas?

Seems logical now (sort of), but at the time I thought it was the craziest thing I had ever heard.  Yes, man-denial was obviously in full force with J.

When he got home (and put the groceries away) we started packing up to go to the hospital. I couldn't believe this was happening. Even though I was having regular contractions, I figured we would be sent home. I grabbed my hospital bag and thought "we'll probably leave it in the car because they will send me home."

That is the weird thing with labour...it isn't like having a bad migraine and thinking "maybe this is something more serious" until you go to the hospital and they say it's nothing and to just take some Advil and go home. In one way or another, the end result will be you having a baby. It will never be "nothing". That is what makes the extent of our denial that much more insane. This baby was coming whether we believed it or not!

We packed everything in the car (including the snacks, of course :-), looked at each other, and took off.

Oh. My. God.

To be continued...

Photobucket

3 comments:

Local plumber said...

Thanks for sharing this great content, I really enjoyed the insign you bring to the topic, awesome stuff!

Local plumber

Susanne from Oakville said...

Yes, I can't wait to hear the story..p.s. I had a sentsitive baby like yours, my first!! My second was "the easy baby" both so worth it and super special!!your little guy is soo cute!!

ains said...

Waiting for part 3! I also was in major denial about my labour - we stopped on the way to the hospital to pick up a newspaper to read because we thought we'd have all sorts of time to kill. Haha!