Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Bad Day

Today was Luca's last music class. It is held at a church about 10 minutes from my house in a fancy neighbourhood. We go to that location because it has free parking.

We almost didn't make it. He woke up early, had a short nap and the class fell right when his next nap would normally be. 

I thought he'd like it though, so we bundled up and got moving.

And he did! He had red-rimmed eyes, but smiled like crazy and enjoyed himself. 

I was glad we went.

Until I got outside to the parking lot.

Someone broke into our car. Smashed the back window.

In a church parking lot.

In the middle of the day.

You know what they took? 

My f'n diaper bag.

There was glass everywhere. All over Luca's little jacket that was on the seat (covering up my wallet, funny enough). The floor. The pavement.

 I stood there holding my little tired man and felt lucky that it was just a window. Just a bag. It could have been worse. 

But it was a nice f'n bag.

The nice people from the church helped clean up the glass while I shook out Luca's car seat to make sure he didn't sit on any glass.

We drove home and Luca got to feel the cold wind in his hair** because duh...the window was gone.

He didn't care though. He fell asleep in all of 2 minutes. He probably liked the breeze.

So Merry Christmas to the jerk who ended up with a really nice diaper bag. A practically empty diaper bag. 

It could have been worse.


** Don't worry - he had a hat on!


Photobucket

22 comments:

Annick said...

So strange but this happened to my coworker a week ago! Her car, her parents' car and her brothers' car all got broken into when they were at a church function! You'd think people would be a bit more respectful around a church.

Anna said...

I hope there was a dirty diaper in the bag

Picardy Project said...

Well, that a-hole is clearly going to hell

Tammy said...

What a 'filthy animal' (line from a movie in the movie Home Alone) to steal a baby's diaper bag!!

Natalie McGrath said...

That sucks big time. I don't know what I would have done if my good diaper bag was stolen. I think I have 4... Lost count. Glad everyone was safe!

Denise Curtis said...

Wow. That is so awful. I'm so sorry. Some people, I swear. I'm glad they didn't take any more than your diaper bag.

Michelle @ AM Dolce Vita said...

This was terrible! What type of idiot would take a diaper bag and left behind a wallet, that's not to say they should've broken into the car to start with? Around this time a lot of thieves would break into people's cars for nice holiday presents and petty cash. People try to hide stuff away from plain sight like in the trunks but I am sure those jerks would get smarter over time. Glad that you and Luca were okay. Give speedy glass a call. Take care.

Britt said...

UGH! That is really crappy... who the hell steals a diaper bag!?

Stephanie Fazio (aka lealou) said...

Omg - I'm glad everyone is ok! Man... sorry for your diaper bag loss :(

Casey said...

Oh thats so terrible. Happened to me once right after christmas and my purse was stolen. someone ended up finding it in a snowbank and turned it into police. The wallet was gone, but all the cards with cash in them were still there! I hope that idiot enjoyed the empty wallet as much as yours enjoyed a diaper bag!

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

Ugh that is annoying! I'm guessing the diaper bag is going to get dumped (which is even MORE annoying because it is a really nice bag!). Not a good day. Focusing on the fact it could have been worse (could have stolen the stroller!)

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

Thanks Stephanie. Even though Luca and I were never at risk I definitely had a nervous feeling afterwards. Might have been because we were driving around with a smashed out window. At least we hardly need the bag anymore so I don't need to worry about replacing it.

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

The same kind of person who breaks into a car in a church parking lot in Leaside. Arg.

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

It was definitely a smash and grab - didn't look around (would have found the wallet, iPod in the glove box, a fancy stroller, etc). Just saw what they thought might be a purse and ran.

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

I am happy that it was just the diaper bag. I don't feel like I HAVE to replace that now that Luca is older, but if they stole the stroller it would have really sucked!

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

Unfortunately I cleaned the bag out the day before so no dirty diaper. Upside was there wasn't anything of value in it either.

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

You'd think, eh? I do blame myself for having the bag in the car - it was on the floor behind the passenger seat but I guess if you were looking, it was visible. Plus serves me right for having such a nice diaper bag?

ramblingrenovators said...

So crappy. In my 'hood too. I think I took Chloe to the same classes at the same church (Rainbow Songs?). And I'm guessing the thief wasn't local - stroller theft is big around here. So glad you are both okay.

Kim@NewlyWoodwards said...

You are KIDDING me? I'm seriously steaming for you right now. This is terrible. But you win for being so awesome and taking it in stride. You are right that it could have been worse, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck. So sorry!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

That is incredibly awful. What is wrong with people?

Jules said...

SO sorry to hear that. What a frustrating day. Glad that you and L were safe and sound, but what a pain to deal with, especially in the winter

Amelia @ House Pretty said...

That is SO brutal! I often leave the diaper bag in the car when I'm running errands (it's also a nice one, from Matt & Nat) thinking, 'Who would want that?' I guess now I know better :(