Friday, April 20, 2012

Impulsive Purchase

J and I started looking around at rug options last night for our front entrance and I may have impulsively purchased one. I saw it on Overstock.com, liked it, did a quick google and found out that it was actually on the Joss and Main sale site for half price and there were only 2 left.

So we bought it.

Um...

Oops?

Of course, I'm also trying to take advantage of any last minute cross-border shopping as my mom is finishing up her time in AZ mid-May. And is driving home. In a pick up truck :-) So in addition to a diaper bag and a stroller, this beauty will also be packed in the bed of the truck:


I think what put me over the edge was that there was a picture of it in an entryway:


It is the "Hex" wool rug by Jill Rosenwald. Ours will be pretty tiny because we don't have a lot of space to work with (especially because we have a large air intake vent in that area that we can't cover.

I'm super excited about it. I hope it fits. I hope I like it :-) haha I'm not usually this impulsive but you know how I love a deal!! This rug (in our size) is $203 regularly and I got it for $99. Sweet!!

There was another colourway for sale that I thought I might prefer but unfortunately it wouldn't ship in time and would have ended up sitting on my mom's vacant doorstep for 8 months :-)


However in looking at the two, I think the one we purchased will work better with our stairway/front entrance plans :-)

What are you guys up to this weekend? We have a lot on the list, but not sure how much will get done.

1. Buy a sander. J to sand the stair treads.
2. Once the sanding is done, we are going to paint the doors upstairs, as I forgot to ask the painter to include that in the quote. The look SUPER creamy and dirty next to the bright white trim.
3. Hopefully get out to some of our favourite lighting spots to check out new lights for our upstairs hallway.
4. Purchase and install new switchplates for the hallway. They also look dingy and dated now.

In an ideal world, I'd also make it to Ikea to buy some frames for the hallway, but that is unlikely to happen. I am not as a) motivated or b) mobile as I used to be and I find that a few hours of walking/working/etc. puts me over the edge and I'm in rough shape after (i.e. issues walking, putting weight on one leg, etc). So we'll see.

Alright so tell me - what is the most impulsive home purchase you've made, and did you love it or did you regret it!?

Photobucket

19 comments:

sundeep @ designwali said...

OH I LoVE THIS. I totally need new rugs...on my mile long to do list! My impulse buy was a toile chair...threw the husband in a tizzy...but it looks good. I was right. All that matters. :) Happy friday.

julie s said...

It really like the graphic look and the greater contrast of the one you chose! I can see how the entryway photo pushed you over the edge. If it were me, I think that photo would also have pushed me to purchase a beautiful painted black bench,  a pair of wellies and a new trench coat. I would have shown some restraint by not purchasing a new bag. 

Ok, so now I need an entryway...

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

Haha you are hilarious. I saw a girl wearing wellies today and I actually wondered if it would be insane to buy some to 'finish the entryway'. Marginally insane, yes. But I don't have any :-) So I'm sure I could justify it somehow!!

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

I bet he loves the chair now. :-) Happy Friday is right!

Maggie {Okay, now what?} said...

Wow! I love that rug. It's going to look great in your entry.

Catherine said...

Love the rug ! And I prefer the one you got to the other color! =)
I bought a huge papier-maché piece of art on a whim 3 years ago. It was tri-dimensional bull and toreador. It was gold. It was fabulous ! I got it for 50$ when it was supposedly worth 400$! (ahem... well, that's what the flea market guy said ! haha)
When I got home I replaced my husband's african painting in the living room and hung this beauty instead... needless to say he was quite mad when he got home. =) Three years laters it's still in our home and I still love its overwhelming tackiness as he still hates it and tries to get rid of it every other week...  oh well! 

Michelle @ AM Dolce Vita said...

Love the new rug you picked! Jill Rosenwald's design never disappoints. My most impulsive purchase ought to be the current house we live in. We signed the purchase agreement the same day we visited the sales centre!

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

Haha now that is a BIG impulsive purchase! Looks like it worked out for ya :-)

LisaMackay said...

I love this rug!  I just found another on there for OUR entryway - do they only ship to the states!  Thanks for introducing me to another addictive shopping site... :)

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

Ya just to the states unfortunately. Want me to get my mom to bring one back?

LisaMackay said...

Oh dear Janice, that is a slippery, slippery slope.  :)  Not at the moment, but when I get back on this evening after several glasses of wine, it may be a different story...

Sarah said...

I bought a sectional couch from Costco while my fiancee was in Afghanistan. The thing about Costco is that you'll never know how long it'll be there for. The thing about a tour of duty is that you can't call your honey and ask if you can buy something from your joint account...so I just did it. But we love the couch and it was only $800 so it worked out in the end.

I also love that rug! I wish I lived closer to the border. Or "free shipping" applied to us Northerners.

Cathy Fischer said...

First off...love that rug! Now on to the impulsive purchase....it is a big one. When I was around your age I found myself single with 3 fantastic young children and had to fine a new house to live in.... I looked at many, so many I even told my real estate agent to just pick one and buy it for me any way  he said no can you imagine...lol. So the choice was up to me and I was so sick of it all I pick one and bought it thinking that we would live there for a few years and move on to what I really wanted. No I didn't like it and no I still do not like it and yes I am still here over 20 years later and the children are adults and I am so lucky to have 3 wonderful grandchildren. In the end it is okay, just never have loved it here. 
Your blog is fantastic. Best of luck with the baby, snuggle and kiss as much as you can as time sure does fly by.

lealou (Steph Fazio) said...

love! I would say we bought a black leather sectional on impulse when we were living in a loft apt in Roncesvalles. It was PERFECT for the loft but has posed a challenge in every place since. It's in the basement now and it is never leaving :)

Liz Wallpaper blog said...

OMG I love it, great colour!! good job :)

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

haha I have another friend who did the same thing in her rental. Now it is in her basement and will have to be cut out one day haha.

julie s said...

 As long as you bought them in your size so that you could *theoretically* wear them then I think you are on non-insane stable purchasing ground here. Although, see above re: my ability to justify spending money. 

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

I'm not going to lie. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for deals. You are right - they'd be serving dual purposes! Which makes them cheaper! haha

Johnny Frayna said...

It looks like tiles with geometrical design. This rug can save more money  by avoiding the cost of purchasing tiles and renovate the old and dilapidated looks of old staircase as shown in this blog.           GTA Laminate Flooring Sale