Friday, December 30, 2011

Projects for 2012

With 2012 right around the corner, I'm sure I'm not the only one going "holy CRAP how did that happen?".

Right? Please say I'm not the only one.

Otherwise I'll feel weird.

Moving on....

In the spirit of the New Year, I figured that it was as good of time as any to make a list of what I'd like to get done in the coming year. Resolutions, sort of. I don't really like calling them that because I don't want to feel bad if I don't accomplish them all :-)

So here goes...my top 5 projects for 2012 (yes, I know 'top ten' sounds better, but that seems a little ambitious for me. I'm the kind of girl who adds 'make a list' to my to-do lists so I can cross it off.)

1. Hang Stuff in my House

I have major problems committing to certain things, like hanging art/mirrors on the walls. It doesn't help that my walls are 60% plaster so hanging things is slightly more difficult than normal. I have piles of frames and artwork lying around in the house and I need to get busy and hang some of them!

Specifically, I need to order and install the mirror in the bathroom. Yes, that means we are still just living with the temporary mirror J put on the counter.

photo.JPG
We also are planning on putting up a series of six frames over our sideboard in the dining room to spice things up a little. I'm hoping this gets done in the next little while (notice how I said 'next little while' and didn't commit to a specific time frame. Ha. I'm sneaky like that.)

2. Paint the Hallway

I've mentioned it before, but I *really* want to get our hallway painted this year. It is definitely looking worse for wear and the cracks in the plaster are getting more noticeable. I'm thinking we may hire someone to do it...it is a HUGE job and we don't have the plaster fixing skills necessary. OR...maybe we can pull down the whole wall of plaster and lathe and install that sound proof drywall. THAT would be awesome. A dream, but an awesome dream.

3. Deal with our Leaky Roof Issue

Yes, I think that 2012 will bring a new roof for us. Which sucks. Because that can be very, very expensive. However, because of some poorly planned eaves troughs, one area of our roof has taken a huge beating thanks to 3/4s of all rain water being directed over that one particular spot. Awesome.

Handy Hubs got up there a month or two ago and redirected the water which has seemed to help our leaking issue, but it is something we'll have to deal with sooner rather than later, I think.

4. Figure Out the Guest Room

I think it was 7 or 8 months ago when I started thinking about the guest room. Striped walls? White walls?    I wanted somewhere that was lovely and comfortable for my guests. Um...yeah. It has turned into a bit of a storage room. Must do something with this. I have a few ideas though...all related to number 5.


and finally....

5. HAVE A BABY!!

That's right, folks. J and I are having a real, live baby! No, we are not getting a puppy. I'm knocked up! With child. In a family way. Have a bun in the oven. FOR REAL.

So yeah - that is why I've been so MIA these past months. I wasn't feeling great and the last thing I wanted to do was a) do house projects or b) spend time on the computer. Plus keeping a secret is hard, yo!

We are 15 or so weeks along according to my doctor. I don't have a cute bump to show you yet, but I can show you this:


Yep - that is baby LB@30 right there!! 12w6d or something I think. Sleeping. haha

I was a little shocked when we found out (yes, it was planned), and it didn't really sink in for a while. Here is an idea of what I did to remind myself that yes, I was actually pregnant.

I'm not going to lie. I think I took at least 12 pregnancy tests. I know, I'm a nut.

Anyways, so that is our news :-) We are pretty excited about all of this and feel like we have a lot of projects coming up in preparation for the arrival of the little guy/girl.

There is definitely a blogger baby boom these days!

Photobucket

51 comments:

Sundeep @ Designwali said...

Hooray! Congratulations...such fabulous news...you now have to add 'do up baby room' onto your list. Watch how it will trump everything else. great news and happy new year!

AC said...

Congrats!  Totally knew you were pregnant and were just waiting for the announcement.  Looks like you'll know exactly how to start redecorating the 'guest room' aka nursery. 

Kyle said...

Congratulations!  You aren't kidding, there sure is a baby boom going on in Blogland.

Helen@handmaidtales said...

Yay!!!! Congrats to you and the hubs. What an exciting thing to celebrate for the new year!

Melissa_30LittleThings said...

Congrats!! So exciting for you guys! Can't wait to see the nursery!!!

ramblingrenovators said...

Congratulations! I'm increasingly suspicious these days when bloggers disappear for a while ;) So good to hear you're out of the first trimester and hopefully feeling better. Looking forward to seeing all the house projects this baby will help spur on.

P.S. Did you know the Dollar Store sells pregnancy tests? Yup. Keep it mind, you know, for future ;)

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

Thanks Jen! Yes - that is where I bought the bulk of them!

Sheri said...

Congratulations Janice! I'm a long time reader and I just had to pass on my best wishes. Glad to hear you're starting to feel better :)

merylrose said...

Congrats!!!! Glad to know you're starting to feel better and I can't wait to see you're super cute baby bump :) :) :)

Naomi said...

Wow!! So exciting, such wonderful news! 2012 is going to be a great year for lots of us bloggers, it seems! :) Hope you start feeling better as you enter the 2nd tri...it only gets more exciting once you feel him/her moving around!!

shruti said...

Congratulations - great start to 2012!  It only gets better! On the house front, the impending arrival of baby K provided us with serious motivation to tackle our never-ending list of projects :) 

Nicole Bulich said...

Congratulations, Janice! I am so happy, so happy for the two of you, and can't wait to have another mama joining the club right along with me. 2012 will be an exciting year, and I can't wait to see how you bring baby into your beautiful home! 

Janesnextdoor said...

Congratulations Janice! Very exciting news! :)

Shannon8foot6 said...

Yeah! More Babies!!!!!!!!

Linds said...

Oh, Janice congratulations, that is such wonderful news...what a way to bring in the new year with an announcement like that! 

a Girl Called Kim said...

Congratulations!!
I was just saying to Emily-Jane how it seemed like babies were/are popping up everywhere in the blogosphere lately!

Our Humble A{Bowe}d said...

Congratulations!!!  That's so exciting!  And, you're not a nut for taking several tests.  I took three with each of my boys.  You know, just to be sure.  Haha.  Can't wait to hear/read more.  :)

Rachel said...

Congratulations!! I'm really looking forward to seeing your nursery design projects. I'm also pregnant with my first child (I'm about a week behind you) and am looking forward to designing his/her room.

Sorry to hear about the roof. We had to replace ours this summer and it was a bit of a nightmare. Our situation was likely a bit more complicated as we had a roof deck to rip off and replace. We used Canadian Roofing and were really happy with them. They are used to dealing with narrow, downtown homes like ours.

Katie Meredith said...

congrats!  what exciting news!

Michelle @ AM Dolce Vita said...

Wow Janice, this is the best news ever and what a wonderful way to start 2012! Congrats to you and your hubs! Can't wait to read more about the baby, and best wishes in the new year from SFO!

Giulia said...

congratulations! What great news...now your new year will be nothing you've experienced before. Hope you are feeling better.

Kim S. said...

That's awesome you're painting the hallway!!  Just kidding...Congratulations on the baby on the way!! 

Maggie {Okay, now what?} said...

Wow! Congratulations! The second trimester is much better. It's baby time in blog land!!! Just wait until you feel it moving around. Now that is something. So glad you guys did a lot of major renos last year. We put are off and are now digging up and finishing our basement right up until our due date. Yikes! Congrats again.

NK @ StyleING w/ Children said...

congratulations, I'm so excited for you! :))))

Britt said...

OMG Janice!!! How could you keep this a secret?? That is amazing! What a great announcement to end the year! I am definitely wishing you and J all the best in the New Year! CONGRATS! :)

Cathy Fischer said...

Congrat's.... that is fabulous! I love babies, well enough of me. As for your hall issue. We also have plaster and when we wanted ceiling lights where there wasn't any ..... you get the idea. To fix the large wholes everywhere, T used mylar ( think plastic ) and spray foam. He then used duct tape to adhere it, cut a whole in it, spray foamed it, let it dry, cut  it back so that it had a dent in it, fixed that with dry wall compound, prime.... you get the picture. Hope this helps. Again WOW a baby. What could be better.

LisaMackay said...

WOOOOHOOO!  That's awesome news - congrats!  I love how you worked that in with paint the hallway... ;p   Looks like 2012 is going to be an awesome year!

Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy said...

Yay Janice!!! I am so excited for you!! 2012 is going to be the best year ever! xoxo

Heather @ Interiorgroupie said...

congratulations Janice!! I was wondering if that was in the plans for you guys (ok that sounds weird since I don't really know you...but whatever). such exciting news!Can't wait to see your plans and ideas for the nursery! 2012 will be an exciting year ahead.

Steph said...

Congrats Janice!!!!!!! This is wonderful news. Oh and the projects sound good too ;) Best wishes on an amazing 2012!

Shadi said...

Congrats! this is a great news and you are right a baby boom happening! wish an easy and smooth pregnancy!

Robin said...

Wow congrats!  Sounds like 2012 is going to be a big year for you guys. 

Joi said...

Congrats!!! How exciting. : )

Jo @ In Corners of My Mind said...

Oh!!!! I am a little late to reply but so happy for you both! What a wonderful thing to look forward to in 2012! May you enjoy health and happiness throughout the pregnancy and beyond. Here's to a wonderous 2012!

Sarah said...

Congrats Janice!! That is very exciting news. Look forward to seeing the nursery come together!

Sarah - { rad } said...

Holy crap!  Congratulations!

Lisaroy said...

wow! congratulations!! that will be the biggest, most fulfilling project of all xo

Jessica @ Decor Adventures said...

Wahoo! Congrats, how exciting! You could have just had #5 on the list and it would have been quite a list! But hey I guess roofs are important too :-)

Oh and I'm so with you on #1 I need that on my list too. Plaster shmaster... I am such a procrastinator with it, I tell you.

Yay - baby! Hope you are feeling good.

Tara said...

such wonderful news - thrilled for you both! Happy new year...it is going to be grand.

Sharon at Home said...

Janice ... congratulations ... going to be a fabulous year!

Christine Shankowsky said...

Yay!! Such exciting news! Huge congratulations to you, Janice!! I was the same way first trimester, blogging just wasn't happening. It gets better in the second trimester, hope you're feeling great! So excited for you and can't wait to follow along the baby adventure!!

Kim@NewlyWoodwards said...

OhmygoodnessI'msoexcitedIcanhardlystandit. I'm sorry I missed this announcement. I've been hibernating since the holidays. I'm so super happy for you. We must be due at nearly the same time. (Our due date is June 18.) Wow! Just so excited. Hope you are feeling really well. I think we need to start some sort of a message board for all the blogger moms to share tips/ideas/books/fears.

Kim@NewlyWoodwards said...

PS - you are kind of an overachiever for having more goals than just have a baby. So, stop making me look bad. ;)

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

Aw thanks Kim!! I'm pretty excited, especially since so many of our blogger friends are also expecting! Our EDD is June 22 so yep - right around yours!! We'll have to do some kind of blogger pool where people can bet on when each blogger baby is going to be born!

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

Haha the other goals were just so that I could sneak the whole "have a baby" in there. If they get done, they get done. Otherwise, meh. I'll live :-)

Rachel Dhawan said...

awwww, congrats Janice! keep us posted!

April @ Money Pit Love said...

I know I'm late to the celebratory party, Janice, but congrats!!!!!  How amazing to ring in the new year knowing that at the close you'll be three!  Anyway, take care of yourself and enjoy every moment that you can.  Personally speaking, pregnancy sucks water chestnuts but it's all worth it in the end.  Cheers!

Krista from KJ and CO. said...

I seem to be WAY behind on my blog reading. Can't believe I'm just catching this news now. Congratulations, that's fantastic news.

Life Begins at Thirty, Right? said...

Thanks Krista!

Chiclittlehouse said...

CONGRATS!!! I'm so happy for you! :) So excited, I just wrote a post about baby toys we love :) a few are a MUST

Will Peartin said...

I hope it ain't too late to say this: Congratulations! I hope the baby's doing fine! Anyhow, when do you plan to buy a new roof? Yes, roofs can be very expensive, so choose wisely. Take your time looking for the right roof. Ask professional roofers in the area which type of roof would work best with the local weather and climate.